GUIDE TO RECYCLING & COMPOSTING AT SPECIAL EVENTS
Special events provide a great opportunity to recycle and compost. Efforts are appreciated by both your guests and staff.
Once you learn the basics, you’ll see how EASY it is to make it a ZERO WASTE event!
Download bilingual signs to use at your event:
|Event printable signs:|
PLAN AHEAD – Include recycling and composting from the start of the event planning process.
Each event is different. Use these tips as an outline to begin building a successful recycling and composting program.
Zero waste success stories: Each year, the Earth Day and Fourth of July Festivals in downtown Napa recycle or compost nearly 90% of the event waste and generate only a few bags of garbage! At the annual Napa Town and Country Fair each August, NRWS collects over 80 tons of recyclable and compostable materials – over 80% of the total material generated at the event! Many downtown Napa events and BottleRock are now Zero Waste events.
REASONS TO RECYCLE
- Special events typically produce a lot of waste…which can lead to unexpectedly huge garbage bills. Recycling can save you money – there is always a charge for trash collection, while recycling service is provided free of charge. Composting generally costs 50% of the trash rate.
- State and County policies require recycling and composting at large events.
- Your guests notice and appreciate it – recycling is good PR!
- By recycling and composting, you save valuable resources, conserve energy and reduce pollution.
- Increasingly, corporations and agencies give preference to “green practices” when shopping for event locations and service providers.
www.bottlesandcans.com: free information and supplies from CalRecycle
www.greenvenues.org: event greening information and links.
Food donations: Napa Valley Food Bank – (707) 253-6128 (the Good Samaritan Law protects you by limiting food donor liability). Click here for more options.
Buy recycled-content products: check the directory here.
Buy compostable products: check with you local restaurant supply distributor or look online. Online options include: www.greenhome.com, www.greenearthofficesupply.com, www.excellentpackaging.com, www.worldcentric.org, www.greenisgreeninc.com
Zero Waste Event Tip: If your event includes food composting collection, you can use compostable cups – they look and perform just like plastic…but they’re made of corn instead. Buy them at local stores or one of the sites listed above. For other events, use clear PET(#1) plastic cups, which can be recycled in the blue bins. Better yet…consider using real glassware instead of disposable cups.
|Interested in a Zero Waste event? Try food composting!|
Use compostable paper or other compostable products instead of Styrofoam or petroleum-based plastics – check out the event product links above.
Email us for more tips on how to successfully implement composting collection at your event.
Did you know?
NRWS composts over 2000 lbs. of crab shells from Napa Crab Feeds each winter!
Special event food scraps are mixed with yardwaste and composted at our Napa facility.